Forum Home Forum Home > Forums > Spurs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spurs vs Newport County Wed Feb 7th 2.45pm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Chairman Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seppoyiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spurs vs Newport County Wed Feb 7th 2.45pm
    Posted: Jan 26 2018 at 9:52pm
Flannery's is the place for 4th round FA Cup action facing a 4th tier opponent. Somehow Spurs will find a way to inject tension into this match. Ermm
seppoyiddo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Chairman Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seppoyiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2018 at 3:35pm
Balls
rob_k View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2018 at 6:01pm
Well...fair play to Newport County. They were the only team that wanted to play the first half and they could've/should've been up 2-0 at half.

Good to be saved the embarrassment of a loss that would've been talked about for the next decade and to remain in the cup...but the fixture congestion now is a disaster - replay sandwiched right between matches with the two clubs surrounding us in the table and smack dab in the middle of our roughest run in the schedule.

I gotta say it...I don't like how Poch approaches cup matches. We would've had a clear path into the QFs two seasons ago - to ultimately face Reading, Watford, and a weak Utd side we tore apart that spring - if he hadn't gutted our defense by leaving Toby on the bench against Palace. Last season at Wembley, he gave us Son as a wingback in the semis. Today, I think we got the worst of both possible worlds by (1) starting Kane v. a 4th-division team when we're headed into our toughest part of the schedule, while at the same time (2) throwing out a midfield with no functional attackers. You're just begging for a replay *and* running Harry into the ground by doing that. This is obviously a match where you miss Winks, but I'd rather have a Dele and/or Son out there with Llorente up front, with Harry on reserve for an emergency, than using him in an ill-conceived front 2 and a midfield that won't give him service. Embarrassing to watch, really. We're always limited in our depth relative to the richie riches - but it's precisely because of this that he needs to stop being naive in his cup rotation.

Also, he needs to hire a private detective to retrieve the photos that Sissoko has.
Park Slope Yid2 View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Park Slope Yid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2018 at 7:01am
The weakest performances yesterday were: Wanyama, Foyth, Trippier, Walker-Peters and Llorente.   I thought Sissoko turned in another decent if unremarkable performance.   Son was clearly our best player on the day and saved our bacon.  Working on a re-write of an old classic:  'With a Son in my heart'.

Wanyama either still has not regained full match fitness or the heroic battler we knew from last season has become more cautious after injury. 

Foyth is clearly an elegant footballer - but to combine him and trapper on the right side of our defense against a bunch of bruisers on a windy day and uneven pitch was asking for trouble.   Neither of them could handle Newport's physicality.   Dier was also surprisingly bested on several occasions by Newport's energetic and physical game.

Sorry that Walker-Peters turned in a sub-par performance because I rate him.  But didn't offer us much at all yesterday.

On the smooth wide open spaces of Wembley I would play the same team who would certainly have something to prove, and hope their desire for revenge would get us over the finishing line.  But I would sub at half time anyone not showing a reason they should be out there.
samd View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2018 at 10:03am
Got to agree with park slope's assessment. Sisoko was far from our worst player but he clearly is not someone who can be expected to run things with wanyama and dembele next to him, he just isn't that good. He needs an eriksen, dele pulling strings alongside him and he can do the running. The decline of Dembele is sadder for me, looks like a shadow of himself from last year as age and injuries seem to be catching up with him.. Wanyama was way off the pace as he is probably feeling his way back. Trippier is too slight to be playing at this level - he is purely a good crosser and that to me doesn't justify his place in the squad let alone as a starter. Won't be too harsh on Foyth and KWP but they are not quite first team ready yet - need a lot more strength and skills training both. All in all at this point we are way behind the top 4 in terms of shad strength and probably just about performing at par. Won't hold my breath over this tough run coming up yielding much.
LosAngelesYiddo View Drop Down
Starting XI
Starting XI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LosAngelesYiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2018 at 9:51pm
i can't help but laugh every time mauricio and madrid are linked. love the guy to pieces, but come on.

i think we can get 35-40m for dembele in the summer and fully expect levy to sell. 

onwards and upwards lads. 
"an echo of glory" -bill nicholson "an echo of optimism" -daniel levy
seppoyiddo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Chairman Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seppoyiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 2:45pm
Spurs vs Newport County, Round 2:
Lots more players available for this 4th round FA Cup replay, only wish we could use 5-6 subs to give more of the returning injured players a half hour run out. We'll have to live with the results garnered by a second team squad as the derby looms on Saturday. COYMFS
rhodyyiddo View Drop Down
First Team
First Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhodyyiddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2018 at 2:35pm
Anyone know Which channel in the states?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic